Saturday, May 20, 2006

Dizzy

Dizzy Gillespie is, in my case, an underrated musicians. I like his music, his humor and his charism, but only have few records in my collection.

Some times ago I found the Vogue recordings made in the early 1950s while visiting France. It is a great record and contains the music of three Vogue sessions.

At two of these sessions he recorded with Don Byas and a French rhythm group. It became two great recording sessions. Both Raymond Fol and Piere Michelot play a very good part on the tunes of the second recording session.

Dizzy Gillespie Jazz Ensemble: Dizzy Gillespie (tp, vo) Don Byas (ts) Arnold Rose (p) Joe Benjamin (b) Bill Clark (d) Umberto Canto (cga)
Recorded: Studio Jouvenet, Paris, France, March 27, 1952
Hurry Home
She's Funny That Way


Dizzy Gillespie Jazz Ensemble: Dizzy Gillespie (tp, vo) Bill Tamper (tb) Hubert Fol (as) Don Byas (ts) Raymond Fol (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Pierre Lemarchand (d)
Recorded Schola Cantorum, Paris, France, April 11, 1952
CCC Blues
Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams
Sweet Lorraine
Everything Happens to Me
I Cover The Waterfront
I Don't Know Why
Hurry Home
She's Funny That Way


The two recordings sessions were released on Blue Note

Six other tunes are from a session made some weeks after the 1953 Salle Pleyel concert. It contains Nat Peck, a New York-born Paris resident who later recorded with the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland band. At these session Dizzy is the great star and critics think this session is the best he made during his 1950s trip to Paris.

Dizzy Gillespie Quintet: Dizzy Gillespie tp, Nat Peck tb, Wade Legge p, Lou Hackney b, Al jones dm.
Recorded Paris, ca. late March 1953
Always
Mon Home ( My Man)
This Is The Way
s' Wonderful
Moon Nocturne
Fais Gaffe.

Maybe someone can help me to date this session.

It's a great LP and I'm sure I need some more Gillespie recordings in my collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home